IST: Institute of Science and Technology
District STEM Director
STEM Office Manager
A state-of-the-art Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
, or STEM facility, will be built on the esplanade between Prairie Middle School and Overland High School in the Cherry Creek School District.
This Institute of Science & Technology
(IST) building is scheduled to open in August 2011, and the 58,000-square-foot structure will serve 6th through 12th graders.
The program will offer the following areas of concentration for students to compete for global opportunities leading to careers in Energy, Bioscience, Aerospace, Medicine and Information Technology.
- Art & Technical Communications
- Computer Science & Mathematics
- Energy Sciences
- Health Sciences
To inspire students to be creative, critical thinkers, and collaborative learners to successfully compete for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math careers in the global workforce.
- Inspire student interest and passion for STEM career paths.
- Foster creativity, invention, and critical thinking.
- Incorporate project-based, interdisciplinary curriculum supported through teacher collaboration and technology.
- Provide students with authentic STEM experiences including research opportunities and internships.
- Create a world class facility providing highly qualified staff with unique development experiences alongside engineers, scientists, and researchers.
- Promote collaboration and cooperation in STEM fields among parents, higher education, and industry.
Why Science, Technology, Engineering & Math Now?
- 70% of all jobs now have a technical component and 90% of all jobs in the future will have technical component
- One-fourth of the current science and engineering workforce will have retired by 2010
- STEM education is the key to ensure that our students have the competitive edge in the local and global workforce.
Ten Green Features of the IST
- Reflective Roofing
- Exterior Materials
- Building Orientation
- Daylight Harvesting
- Active Solar
- Ice Storage and Peak Demand Reduction
- Economizer Cycle
For more information, visit the official website for the Institute of Science and Technology at www.ccsd.k12.co.us/IST
Career Concentrations at the Institute of Science & Technology
- Health Sciences
- Natural Resources & Energy
- Computer Science & Applied Mathematics
- Arts & Technical Communications
- Engineering & Technical Sciences
Construction Technology 1
Construction Technology 2
Applied Technology 1
Applied Technology 2
Automotive Technology 1
Automotive Technology 2
Automotive Technology 3
Robotics and Electromechanical Design
Introduction to Programming 1
Introduction to Programming 2
Algorithms And Data Structures
3D Graphics & Animation
AP Computer Science
Web Page Design 1
Web Page Design 2
Exploring Health Science
Principles of Health Science
Advanced Health Science
Clinical Experience in Health Science
This document contains course descriptions and plans of study for all courses offered at Prairie Middle School and Overland High School, including the new courses available through the Institute of Science and Technology.
Download the 2011-2012 Overland-Prairie Course Registration GuideOHSRegGuide2011-2012_v4.pdf
PDF Document: 114 pages
·Vol. 1 - Issue 1: July 2010
·Vol. 1 - Issue 2: September 2010
·Vol. 1 - Issue 3: November 2010
·IST Program Highlights: November 2011
IST in the News
·December 15, 2010---Ten Green features you should know about the IST
·April 22, 2010---Institute Building, Curriculum, Taking Shape
·February 2, 2010---CCSD Breaks Ground on Institute of Science & Technology
Overland RoboticsRobotics Coach - Brian Huang
Robotics Award Paper
14 students competed at the DU Magness Arena. Overland was 1 of 2 teams to serve as alternates for the quarter-finals.