About the IST
A state-of-the-art Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
, or STEM facility, has been built on the esplanade between Prairie Middle School and Overland High School in the Cherry Creek School District.
This Institute of Science & Technology
(IST) building opened in August 2011, and the 58,000-square-foot structure serves 6th through 12th graders.
The program offers the following areas of concentration for students to compete for global opportunities leading to careers in Energy, Bioscience, Aerospace, Medicine and Information Technology.
- Health Sciences
- Natural Resources & Energy
- Computer Science & Applied Mathematics
- Arts & Technical Communications
- Engineering & Technical Sciences
To inspire students to be creative, critical thinkers, and collaborative learners to successfully compete for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math careers in the global workforce.
- Inspire student interest and passion for STEM career paths.
- Foster creativity, invention, and critical thinking.
- Incorporate project-based, interdisciplinary curriculum supported through teacher collaboration and technology.
- Provide students with authentic STEM experiences including research opportunities and internships.
- Create a world class facility providing highly qualified staff with unique development experiences alongside engineers, scientists, and researchers.
- Promote collaboration and cooperation in STEM fields among parents, higher education, and industry.
Why Science, Technology, Engineering & Math Now?
- 70% of all jobs now have a technical component and 90% of all jobs in the future will have technical component
- One-fourth of the current science and engineering workforce will have retired by 2010
- STEM education is the key to ensure that our students have the competitive edge in the local and global workforce.
Ten Green Features of the IST
- Reflective Roofing
- Exterior Materials
- Building Orientation
- Daylight Harvesting
- Active Solar
- Ice Storage and Peak Demand Reduction
- Economizer Cycle